Medecins Sans Frontiers (MSF) has opened a transit point on Bushrod Island to help deal with suspected Ebola cases in the area before transferring those testing positive to ETUs and sending patients with other conditions to Redemption and other hospitals for further treatment.The Liberian healthcare system has been seriously impacted by the Ebola epidemic. Many hospitals and clinics are closed, and those that are running turn feverish or vomiting patients away for fear that they have Ebola.”Speaking yesterday during the official opening of the unit, the Swiss Field Coordinator of MSF, Sebastian Stew, said the unit is intended to screen suspected Ebola patients seeking treatment at Redemption Hospital.According to him, the unit is constructed to help the Redemption Hospital avoid dealing with Ebola patients through the screening process and keep suspected Ebola cases away from other patients.“We want the people of New Kru Town to take advantage of this opportunity because this is one of the ways that Ebola can be eradicated from Bushrod Island and Liberia. Patients with Ebola symptoms will be sent from the out-patient department of Redemption Hospital to the Transit Unit to have the screening for Ebola.”The Transit Centre is a small short-stay Ebola Treatment Centre (24-72hrs). It is intended to receive patients with signs and symptoms of Ebola in a safe and protected environment, take care of them while allowing nurses to test the patients to confirm Ebola Virus infection before transferring them by ambulance to the MSF Ebola Treatment Center at ELWA, or any other Ebola Treatment Centre, if they are confirmed as Ebola positive.According to Stew, “Redemption is one of the most important hospitals in Monrovia, providing free care for everyone. New Kru Town is an area that has been severely hit by Ebola and it makes sense to set up the Transit Unit there.He continued, “We are hoping to receive the first patient today and as the Redemption Hospital is open, the unit can help greatly to support the more suspected cases. We have 10 units and will make sure that no one infects the other. The unit is large enough for each patient to occupy a room or unit.”Mr. Stew further explained that the unit has a team of health promoters and psychosocial workers, who will be the link between the patients and their families and there will be opportunities for the family to come and visit.The medical director of Redemption Hospital, Dr. Mohammed Sankoh, said he was impressed with the unit as it would help to handle suspected Ebola patients before determining further treatment.He explained that the entire Redemption Hospital would soon be open to the public, especially with the opening of new Ebola transit point nearby.“We want to get all the materials disinfected because the hospital was also run as an Ebola holding unit and most of the patients diagnosed were Ebola patients. This transit point is very important as it gave us ample time to reopen the hospital,” he said.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
On April 22, 1980, 13 government officials were executed on South Beach in Monrovia as a result of a military coup d’état that toppled the regime of President William R. Tolbert Jr., who was assassinated earlier on April 12.In 2004, the families of the deceased officials formed a coalition titled “The April 22nd Memorial Group,” a dedicated to keeping the memory, contributions, and patriotism of their loved ones alive. Their contribution to country through their hard work, their love of country shown by their overwhelming and selfless response to the duties imposed upon them in the public service portfolios they held continue to be the impetus and motivation of the group, its statement reads. The ideals of these men are the ones that made an impact in the development of Liberia in the past, and will make an impact again “if and only if we continue to hold them in high esteem, and pass them forward to our current generation and to generations unborn,” according to the statement.In commemoration of the 35th anniversary of the assassination and execution of so many brave men, “we the family of these great men invite the Liberian public to a memorial and remembrance ceremony of this historical event on Wednesday, April 22, 2015.”The 13 Slain officials on April 22nd 1980 includedCyril A. Bright, Joseph J. F. Chesson, Sr., C. Cecil Dennis, Jr., Richard A. Henries, Sr., Charles D. B. King, and D. Franklin Neal, Sr. Others were P. Clarence Parker III, James T. Phillips, Jr., James A. A. Pierre, John W. F. Sherman, Frank J. Stewart, Sr., Frank E. Tolbert, Sr., and E. Reginald Townsend.Also to be honored are former President William R. Tolbert, Jr., Ex-Commander Spurgeon Capehart, Major General Emmett W. Cooper, Commander Varney E. Dempster, Captain Gabriel Moore, General Charles E. Railey, Jr., H. Carey Thomas, A. Benedict Tolbert, and Lieutenant “Railroad” Vesseley. Meanwhile the 35th Anniversary Memorial Thanksgiving Program will, among other things, include wreath laying and a prayer service on Wednesday, April 22 at 10:00 A.M. at the Memorial Site in Palm Grove Cemetery, Center Street. A Memorial Thanksgiving Worship Celebration will also be hosted on Wednesday, April 22 at 12:00 P.M. at the First Presbyterian Church, Broad and Johnson Streets.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Hundreds of excited little faces filled the auditorium of the newly constructed Paramakatoi Primary School on Saturday as they eagerly awaited the arrival of Social Protection Minister Amna Ally and Communities Minister Ronald Bulkan, who came bearing gifts for the festive season.Look what Santa brought us! Excited faces of two children at ParamakatoiThe gathering, which comprised not only children but also teachers and parents as well, was entertained by melodious voices of the children as they recited Christmas poems and carols to thunderous applause.Though time was not in their favour as the aircraft awaited their return, Minister Ally spoke briefly to Guyana Times, pointing out that the gift giving exercise is a yearly feature, but it is the first time the programme has been extended to Paramakatoi.“It’s something we do every year end and we are visiting all 10 regions, this is the second. We went to Leguan (Essequibo River) yesterday (Friday). We launched there. I think we are going to Arnaputa (Region Nine) tomorrow (today).”When asked if the children should expect a similar event come 2018, the Minister indicated that different areas are targeted annually with the aim of covering communities in all 10 regions.Also speaking at the conclusion of the hour-long proceeding was headmistress of Paramakatoi Primary School, Cathy Simon, who conveyed her undying appreciation to the Ministers on behalf of the community at large for the successful hosting of an event – the very first of its kind.Little smiling faces hugged their presents and exited the auditorium as they made their way into the school’s kitchen to indulge in a well prepared and scrumptious special Christmas lunch. (Paula Gomes)
Today, crews were in the midst of setting up the necessary electrical connections and preparing the concrete foundations for the pole structures that will support the signal light fixtures, said Ken Nash, operations manager in the Peace District for the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure. Traffic remained open in all directions through the intersection as the work is occurring along the shoulders of the roads, and Nash said they expect only minor interruptions throughout the project for moving equipment, for example.Given the proximity of emergency services to the intersection, the signal lights will be designed to be sound-activated to respond to emergency vehicles.The project is being funded jointly by the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure and the City of Dawson Creek.- Advertisement –
The segment cost $31million and is being funded with federal and local grants as well as developer fees. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! VALENCIA – A short but key stretch of the city’s new Cross Valley Connector will open next month, six months ahead of schedule. The 1.6-mile piece of Newhall Ranch Road from state Route126 east to Rye Canyon Road/Copper Hill Road will open after a 10a.m. ceremony April23. Robert Newman, director of Public Works for Santa Clarita, said the city worked with its contractor, C.A. Rasmussen, and local utility companies to expedite completion of the road. The new stretch of road is a piece of the eight-mile connector that eventually will link Interstate5 at the 126 to the Antelope Valley Freeway at Golden Valley Road. The connector, expected to relieve traffic on existing routes, is composed of Newhall Ranch Road to the west and Golden Valley to the east. The new stretch is huge for motorists heading to the Valencia Industrial Center or new shopping centers that have sprung up on Copper Hill.
0Shares0000Gennaro Gattuso feels the Milan derby is starting to recapture its old lustre © AFP/File / Ben STANSALLMILAN, Italy, Apr 3 – AC Milan coach Gennaro Gattuso believes Wednesday’s ‘Derby della Madonnina’ against bitter city rivals Inter is beginning to recapture its past glory with Champions League qualification potentially at stake.“After so many years the derby is back to being something significant, it will be a great game,” said Gattuso of the Serie A fixture that was postponed last month after Fiorentina captain Davide Astori’s death. The two clubs have won 10 Champions League titles between them — seven for AC Milan and three for Inter — but it is five years since either qualified for Europe’s premier club competition and seven since they were both involved.But with Inter currently fourth, in the final qualifying place, and Milan eight points back in sixth, there is renewed hope that one at least might make it through this season.“We’re experiencing a different atmosphere now. The fans have already done their share by breaking the record for sales, now we have to fire them up with a good start,” said Gattuso of Wednesday’s game at the 80,000 capacity San Siro stadium.“We need to improve our mentality and desire, fight with a knife between our teeth.”Milan were on a 10-match unbeaten run until losing 3-1 to champions Juventus in Turin at the weekend.In Inter’s last three games they’ve held title-chasing Napoli to a goalless draw and claimed back-to-back wins over Sampdoria and Verona, scoring eight goals in the process.Inter captain Mauro Icardi — who scored a hat-trick when Inter won the last Serie A derby meeting 3-2 in October — has hit top form again following an injury, scoring six goals in his past two games.“Inter have changed in the last three weeks, scoring 10 goals and conceding none (over their last four matches). They’re a healthy team, as are Milan. It’s an important derby,” continued Gattuso on Tuesday.“It’s a derby, a clash in which the team lower in the table often wins.”Gattuso meanwhile brushed aside talk of his new contract with reports he is poised to pen a deal worth two million euros a year ($2.4 million) after Wednesday’s game.“The priority is AC Milan, not the contract of Rino Gattuso. I don’t like to waste time talking when there is a job to do.“I feel great responsibility: I am the boss, coach, president, I think only of Milan.”Inter coach Luciano Spalletti said victory would go some way towards ruling their neighbours out of Champions League contention.“Can we knock them out of the Champions League race? They would remain in a good position in the table, and given the mentality of their coach it wouldn’t change anything,” he said.“But the points would definitely start to be different.”An Inter victory would leave Milan 11 points behind with just eight matches left.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
A young man with 20 outstanding bench warrants for his arrest has been remanded in custody.Shane Gibson was arrested and brought before Letterkenny District Court yesterday. Judge Paul Kelly was told that guard were objecting to bail in the case as Mr Gibson had no less than 20 bench warrants outstanding for him from as far back as 2007.Garda Marcus O’Dowd told the court that he arrested Gibson at his home under Section 3 of the Road Traffic Act.A total of 18 charges were put to him and he replied ‘no comment’ to all charges.His solicitor Patsy Gallagher told the court that his client had medical issues including heart and kidney complaints.He said the reason why he had not been able to come to court on several occasions was because he was on a monitor at his home.Judge Paul Kelly said he was refusing bail in the case and pointed to the fact that Gibson had five arrest warrants issued for this this year alone.He remanded him in custody and ordered the accused to appear by videolink on October 3rd next.Man with 20 arrest warrants couldn’t answer door because of medical condition was last modified: September 28th, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:arrest warrantsCreesloughGardaiPatsy GallagherShane Gibson
Damien McNulty’s thunderbolt of an equaliser for Finn Harps has literally shot the lights out at The Showgrounds!Harps were trailing 1-0 with just eight minutes to go, but up stepped McNulty with a stunning volley to restore parity. However, shortly after the floodlights failed in certain sections of the ground and the game has been halted.The game has been stopped for over ten minutes and the game is now in real doubt as to whether or not it will continue. LIGHTS OUT: POWER FAILURE AT THE SHOWGROUNDS! was last modified: March 19th, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
JIM DOHERTYThe death has taken place at Letterkenny General Hospital of Jim Doherty “The Fiddler”, Legnahoorey, Kilmacrennan.Remains reposing at his late residence. Funeral Mass in St Columba’s Church, Kilmacrennan, at 2pm on Wednesday followed by burial in Templedouglas Cemetery.CHARLIE McATEERThe death has taken place at Aras Ui Dhomnaill Milford of Charlie McAteer Carlin, Kerrykeel. Reposing at the home of his Sister Ann and Wilfie Ward, Carlin Lower, Kerrykeel. Funeral from there on Wednesday at 10.30am going to St Columba’s Church, Massmount for Requiem Mass at 11am. Interment afterwards in the adjoining Family Plot.SISTER EUGENE FULLERTON The death has taken place of Sister Eugene Fullerton, Nazareth House, Fahan. Her remains are reposing at the Nazareth House Chapel, with entrance to the chapel at the rear of the convent. Funeral on Wednesday, with Requiem Mass at 12 noon, followed by burial in St Mary’s Cemetery, Cockhill. DONEGAL DEATH NOTICES FOR TUESDAY. APRIL 3, 2012 was last modified: April 3rd, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:2012DONEGAL DEATH NOTICES FOR TUESDAY. APRIL 3
WHITTIER — Despite cooler weather and a chance of rain in the forecast this weekend, an annual program that offers overnight sanctuary to area homeless people when temperatures dip will not begin until the second week in November, program organizers said. The Whittier Area Interfaith Council’s Cold Weather Shelter program will operate from Nov. 14 through March 15 — the same period during which the program was opened last season. The program, which provides overnight stays and a hot meal for homeless people at alternating church locations, originally had been held from Nov. 1 through March 31. But organizers have had to shave off about four weeks because of a drop in participation by local churches. But organizers lament that the decreased number of participating churches — down from 12 a few years ago — will not allow for the program’s expansion. Some of those 12 initial churches bowed out, having to use once-available facilities for other purposes. “A lot of the older churches that used to donate space have permanent programs, like Head Start, that helps them pay the bills,” said Gray. “And there aren’t people to replace our older volunteers because a lot of young people have busy work schedules.” In addition, shelter organizers expect an increase in people needing emergency shelter and worry there won’t be enough space to accommodate everyone. “We expect to see more families, with the number of people out of work and the high costs to rent apartments,” said Kolnick. “But we will have to roll with whatever happens.” For Chris Philpot, 19, a recent transplant to Whittier from Las Vegas, who spends nights sleeping in a church parking lot, the emergency shelter can’t open soon enough. “There is no place to sleep anymore, because the cops are always moving us along. A lot of nights it is really cold,” he said. “I need a place to stay to get my life back on track.” Yvonne Lopez also said she is looking for more than just a one-night’s stay in a church social hall. She said she has been living in her car. “Right now, I can’t save any money staying on the street,” said Lopez. “If I had a place to stay, I could pay off my debts and get back into society.” Debbie Pfeiffer Trunnell can be reached at (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3028, or by e-mail at email@example.comWant local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week This year, said the Rev. Bruce Gray, Interfaith Council president, new congregations, including Whittier Hills Baptist, have volunteered to make spaces available for the homeless. A total of nine churches have offered their facilities — enough for the program’s operating period to remain the same as last year. “We have more people and a new congregation involved, in large part because of the publicity we have done to let people know about our mission,” Gray said. Several local college students are again helping out this winter, said Jackie Kolnick, a member of the council’s board of directors. “Our nightly screening situation at the churches will be much more stable because we have returning students who are experienced at dealing with the people coming into the shelter,” she said.