Cardinal Brady will not resign over ‘abuse failure’

first_imgThis World’s Darragh MacIntyre confronts Cardinal Sean Brady over allegations that he failed to protect children from sexual abuse by a paedophile priest.The Catholic primate of all-Ireland has said that he will not resign as Church leader despite revelations in the BBC’s This World show.It found Cardinal Sean Brady had names and addresses of those being abused by paedophile priest Brendan Smyth.However, he did not pass on those details to police or parents.Cardinal Brady said he accepted he was part of “an unhelpful culture of deference and silence in society, and the Church”.“With others, I feel betrayed that those who had the authority in the Church to stop Brendan Smyth failed to act on the evidence I gave them,” he said in a statement on Wednesday. “However, I also accept that I was part of an unhelpful culture of deference and silence in society, and the Church, which thankfully is now a thing of the past.”The cardinal said he was “shocked, appalled and outraged” by Smyth and said he had trusted that those with the authority to act in relation to Smyth would treat the evidence seriously and respond appropriately.He accused the BBC of exaggerating his authority in the programme. “The commentary in the programme and much of the coverage of my role in this inquiry gives the impression that I was the only person who knew of the allegations against Brendan Smyth at that time and that because of the office I hold in the Church today I somehow had the power to stop Brendan Smyth in 1975. “I had absolutely no authority over Brendan Smyth. Even my Bishop had limited authority over him. The only people who had authority within the Church to stop Brendan Smyth from having contact with children were his Abbot in the Monastery in Kilnacrott and his Religious Superiors in the Norbertine Order.” He added that he had worked with others in the Church to put these new procedures in place and looked forward to continuing that vital work in the years ahead.Senior Vatican Prosecutor Monsignor Charles Scicluna has defended Cardinal Brady.“My first point is that Fr Brady was a note taker in 1975, he did what he should have done. He forwarded all the information to the people that had the power to act,” he said.“My second point is that in the interest of the Church in Ireland, they need to have Cardinal Brady as the archbishop of Armagh because he has shown determination in promoting child protection policies. You need to have leaders who have learned the hard way and are determined to protect children.”The BBC investigation centres on a secret church inquiry in 1975 when a 14-year-old boy was questioned about abuse.Smyth abused him and others in guesthouses on trips across Ireland.In 1975, Cardinal Brady was a priest and teacher in County Cavan in the Republic of Ireland, when he was sent by his bishop to investigate a claim of child sexual abuse by a fellow priest.That priest was later exposed as Ireland’s most prolific paedophile, Father Brendan Smyth, who died in prison in 1997, one month into a 12 year prison sentence.The first child to tell his parents about the abuse was 14-year-old Brendan Boland. The man tasked with the secret church investigation that followed would later become the most senior priest in Ireland. Sean Brady’s role in the affair became clear in 2010, when it became known that he had been present when the abused boy was questioned. He claimed, however, that the boy’s father had accompanied him, and described his own role as that of a note-taker.However, the BBC This World investigation has uncovered the notes Cardinal Brady took while the boy was questioned. The child’s father was not allowed in the room, and the child was immediately sworn to secrecy. What Cardinal Brady failed to tell anyone in 2010 was that Brendan Boland had also given him and his colleagues the precise details of a group of children, some of whom, were being abused by Smyth. Cardinal Brady did interview one of them and swore him to secrecy. This World spoke to all of the children who Brendan Boland had identified; they all told the programme that to the best of their knowledge none of their parents or families were warned in any way about the paedophile Brendan Smyth. Four of them had been abused by Smyth. Two of them continued to be abused after the 1975 inquiry. One of them – originally from Belfast – told the programme that Smyth continued to abuse him for another year.He also said Smyth abused his sister for a further seven years and then in turn, his four younger cousins, up to 1988.Cardinal Brady did consider his position as Primate of all-Ireland when his role in the secret inquiry was first exposed. The Catholic Church has said that “the sole purpose of the oath” signed by Brendan Boland in Cardinal Brady’s presence was “to give greater force and integrity to the evidence given by Mr Boland against any counter claim by Fr Brendan Smyth”.The church also points out that in 1975, “no state or church guidelines for responding to allegations of child abuse existed in Ireland”.Irish Justice Minister Alan Shatter said the programme’s revelations were “tragic and disturbing”. Abuse victims’ campaigner Marie Collins, who was raped at the age of 13 by a hospital chaplain in Dublin, said Cardinal Brady should resign. “I’m amazed no bishops have come out and said he should go,” she said. “We have priests and theologians being silenced by the Vatican – they can act against people whose views they feel are liberal, but they will not act against someone who not only endangered children but let them be abused. Abuse victim Brendan Boland“If Cardinal Brady came out and espoused the view that women should be ordained, he’d be gone within hours.”Gary O’Sullivan, editor of the Irish Catholic newspaper, said Cardinal Brady had questions to answer. “If a child can see the need to save other children, how come priests, ministers of Christianity, cannot have the same awareness?” he said. “If he wants to stay in this leadership position, he should show leadership and come out and answer these questions because this culture of silence failed children.”BBC News Share FaithInternationalLifestylePrint Cardinal Brady will not resign over ‘abuse failure’ by: – May 2, 2012 Sharing is caring! 26 Views   no discussionscenter_img Share Share Tweetlast_img read more

Group says Iowa has two of the ‘most threatened’ waterways

first_imgDES MOINES — The group American Rivers says two of the nation’s ten most threatened waterways border Iowa, the Upper Mississippi and the Lower Missouri.The 35th annual America’s Most Endangered Rivers report is a list of rivers said to be at a crossroads. Olivia Dorothy, the group’s Iowa spokeswoman, cites increasingly severe flooding caused by climate change, along with poor river management.“Every time it floods, everyone rushes to the banks and starts flood fighting,” Dorothy says. “This is what’s known as an ‘everyone for themselves’ approach to flood plain management. It’s very chaotic. Basically, what it does is it means we have no idea where that water is going to go during a flood event.”Temporary flood barriers and sandbags are resource-intensive and require a lot of manpower to deploy, so Dorothy says those simply aren’t sensible solutions, especially during a pandemic. “We really need to start looking at the river and thinking about how can we manage this in a way that allows for the river to rise and fall without creating an emergency,” Dorothy says, “and give the river some space to flood safely.”There was historic flooding on the Missouri River last year that forced some southwest Iowans to abandon their homes and businesses for months. Dorothy says that the river’s flood management plan dates back to just after the Civil War and it’s focused on levees and trying to keep the river out of its flood plain.“As we build more levees and as we build those levees higher, it’s actually increasing the risk that those levees are going to fail catastrophically,” Dorothy says. “We’re seeing, year after year, the Missouri River is flooding, levees are breaking and we’re just going back in and rebuilding those levees exactly where they were before.”Cedar Rapids is a good example, she says, of how a community can make more room for a river to flood safely without threatening the public while also restoring the ecosystem. Of the ten rivers on this year’s nationwide endangered list, the Upper Mississippi ranks number-one and the Lower Missouri is number-two.last_img read more

The Results Are In

first_imgBy Christina Johnson |RED BANK – New Jersey has a new governor.Middletown’s Phil Murphy, a Democrat, former Goldman Sachs executive and newcomer to elected office has beaten Republican Lt. Gov. Kim Guadagno  in the race to succeed Republican Gov. Chris Christie.Guadagno, of Monmouth Beach, declared in her concession speech, “We left no stone unturned and I wouldn’t have done anything differently.” She congratulated Murphy. Guadagno will continue in her role as Secretary of State and Lt. Governor until Jan. 18.In Legislative District 11, Democrat Vin Gopal of Long Branch defeated Sen. Jennifer Beck of Red Bank in an upset. In her concession speech, Beck wished her best to Gopal and vowed to assist him in the transition.In the General Assembly 11th District, Democrats Eric Houghtaling and Joann Downey defeated Republicans Robert Acerra and Michael Whelan.In Monmouth County’s Freeholder race, Republicans Lillian Burry and Patrick Impreveduto beat Democrats Brian Wilton and Margie Donlon.In the General Assembly’s 13th District, Representatives Amy Handlin and Serena DiMaso won against Tom Giaimo and Mariel DiDato.Both state public questions were approved by voters. They asked voters to support authorizing the state to issue $125 million in bonds to provide grants to public libraries, as well one about dedicating funds from state environmental contamination cases.In Monmouth County, a public question to fund open space for recreation was also approved by voters.Voter turnout was 41.6 percent, according to the county clerk.Click here for results of more municipal and school board races. Pick up Thursday’s issue of The Two River Times for articles on the 2017 local election. Find the paper here.last_img read more

College Scales Back Campus Plans at Fort

first_imgDuring its March 12 meeting, the Oceanport Planning Board approved NJCU’s site plan application for a single academic facility and adjacent parking lot. OCEANPORT – Following an outcry from borough officialsover the scope of its plans, New Jersey City University is scaling back itsproposal for a satellite campus at the former Fort Monmouth. FMERA Executive Director Bruce Steadman said that, though NJCUhas agreed to alter the amendment, Amendment #13 has not been withdrawn. This story originally appeared in the March 14-20 print edition of The Two River Times. “Based on discussions Oceanport and NJCU had regarding futureelements, NJCU has agreed to make some changes and reduce the scope of theproject to some extent. That doesn’t mean the amendment has been withdrawn oreradicated, but it will probably be amended,” Steadman said. Borough officials remain wary the larger plan by developer KKFUniversity Enterprises, LLC, may resurface in the future. They are concernedtheir borough can adequately provide emergency services and security services,or absorb the potential traffic. “Once we see how enrollment goes (at Fort Monmouth), we can sitdown again with everyone and revisit the plan. But it’s difficult to know whatwe’ll need because we don’t know what that demand looks like,” de Veyga added. NJCU Chief of Staff Guillermo de Veyga said the pullback was theresult of a late February meeting between the university, the development groupand members of the Oceanport Borough Council. “We have no interest in doing (Phase 2 and 3) right now,” saidde Veyga. “The university has no vision to immediately put these massivestructures in. Our enrollment doesn’t merit anything beyond Phase 1 right now.” FMERA has received 44 pages of public comments concerningAmendment #13, said Steadman. The organization’s staff will be reviewingsubmissions in coming weeks. “My concern is that at some point, down the road, thedevelopment group can resubmit the same amended plan and FMERA can try to getit passed again,” said Borough Councilman and Planning/Zoning Board memberRobert Proto. “We would be in the same situation we are now.” Instead of constructing a residence hall, academic lab, visualarts center, performing arts center and athletic center and a parking garage,NJCU says it will only seek to build a one-story academic facility, and parkinglot on the 27-acre Squier Hall parcel and an adjacent complex on Sherrill Ave,as originally proposed in September. KKF put its Phase 1 plan – the construction of the facilitybuilding, performing arts center and parking lot called Amendment #13 – inwriting to FMERA on Dec. 12. With undergraduate enrollment at approximately 7,000 students,de Veyga said that it could be five years before the school needs to revisitthe site plan. By Chris Rotolo and Laura Kolnoski Oceanport Borough Councilman Joe Irace said the meeting withNJCU was a positive one, and that he agrees with the administration’s vision toenhance the school’s footprint if the student body’s growth determines it. Because the Fort Monmouth Economic Revitalization Authority(FMERA) has the authority to approve the project, the governing body would liketo enter into a redevelopment agreement with the developer and cut FMERA fromthe development process. “(Amendment #13) is a plan for years down the road. It’s allbased on potential growth. Instead of jamming it all into one plan andhamstringing us, take FMERA out of the equation and five or 10 years from now,come to our planning board and work with us. This should be an Oceanport/NJCUdecision,” Irace said. Steadman said the FMERA board will vote on the scope of the work at Squier Hall in April. The board is due to meet April 17 at 7 p.m. at 502 Brewer Ave. in Oceanport.last_img read more

Brianne Stefani represents Glacier Gym Club at BC Winter Games

first_imgBrianne Stefani of the Glacier Gymnastics Club will join approximately 1700 of her closets friends next week at the Penticton 2016 BC Winter Games.Stefani, 11, qualified for the BC Winter Games at the recent Zone one trials February 9 in Cranbrook.The Glacier gymnast performed near flawless routines on all four events, taking first place on the team by almost a full point. “Brianne worked very hard preparing and perfecting her skills for the trials,” said Glacier Gymnastics Head Coach, Sandra Long.Long said the level of gymnastics at the BC Winter Games is very high but says Stefani is up for the challenge“Brianne is dedicated to doing her best at the Games,” Long said, adding Stefani is competing against gymnasts that train four to eight hours more per week.”She is an accomplished gymnast and has a very good chance to come home to Nelson with 1 or 2 BC Winter Games Medals.”The BC Winter Games takes place in Penticton, February 26-28.Some of the other competitors from Nelson include Keiran Marchand in Biathlon, Troy Bellman, Sophie Hickson, Aliza Jones, Liam Lazier, Henry Lieshman andYael Oosthuizen in alpine skiing; and Sophie Edney and Rohan Moola in cross country skiing.Haley Olinyk of Salmo is competing in alpine skiing while Jessica Rideout of Crawford Bay is on the boards in cross country skiing.last_img read more

#2. A farmer’s story

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The #2 story of 2015 was: A farmer’s story This straightforward story from Richard Flax from Clark County about his life-threatening experience in a grain bin last winter is a must read for anyone working around grain storage facilities. It only takes a moment to unwittingly put your life in danger. The story covers what Richard admits he did wrong, but also what was done right to turn a possible tragedy into a success story and a warning for others. Thanks to Richard for sharing his powerful story.last_img

Boxing: Deontay Wilder not interested in anything less than 50/50 to fight Joshua

first_imgNEW YORK, NY – MARCH 03: Luis Ortiz (green shorts) and Deontay Wilder (yellow and black shorts) fight during their WBC Heavyweight Championship fight at Barclays Center on March 3, 2018 in the Brooklyn Borough of New York City. (Photo by Anthony Geathers/Getty Images)AdvertisementEver since the announcement took place that Deontay Wilder will not be fighting Anthony Joshua, the war of words between the parties involved in making fights from both sides of the pond has been very vocal on Social Media. From Eddie Hearn to President of Showtime Sports Stephen Espinoza, all have been on the verbal assault on each other on Twitter.As part of the charade, Hearn had left the offer to Wilder on the table and even added a little to it by offering Wilder an intermediate fight for $5M against whomever he choses to take place this fall on DAZN – Hearn’s new broadcast partner in America. He left the $15M deal to face Joshua out there as well which would mean two fights for $20M.Apparently Wilder is not interested in the new offer at all as he had this to say to WBN;“F*** Hearn,” said Wilder, regarding the DAZN offer. “We’re done with that. Only thing we needed was the belt to unify. The $50 million is off the table. That flat fee I was going to take … all that is off the table. If they ever come back to us, it’s going to be 50-50 straight down the line. I’m just glad the blindfolds are off the people’s eyes. Even casual fans can see what happened. For those that can’t see, the ones I call Eddie’s zombies, they can be a fool behind him.”Although the offer is drastically more than any other payday of Wilder’s career he feels it’s a matter of principle now and has vowed he will not fight Joshua unless it’s a 50/50 deal now. Maybe he’s trying to copy a page from Gennady Golovkin’s playbook here but I don’t think he ever gets a 50/50 deal and neither did Golovkin. The sport has become way too much about who’s the A-side and B-side for that to happen.Wilder says he’s going for the 51-0 record and that’s that. He could, however, increase his market value by taking the right fights his next couple of times out. Former champion Tyson Fury “called out” Wilder earlier this week and Wilder said he is definitely interested in that fight. It’s a fight that would definitely help build up Wilder’s profile and especially in the UK.The WBC champion is expected to return to the ring this fall on Showtime but he’s not sure who is opponent may be yet. Dominic Breazeale is the mandatory challenger and who most expect it will be.Advertisementlast_img read more