29 June 2011Ford Motor Company this week announced the completion of a two-year, US$500-million (R3.4-billion) upgrade of its manufacturing and assembly plants in South Africa to enable it to produce and export its new Ranger diesel pickup trucks to 148 countries, mostly in Africa and Asia.“I am pleased to announce today that this All-New Ford Ranger will be exported from South Africa to 148 markets around the world, solidifying South Africa’s role as a key operation in Ford’s global manufacturing footprint,” Ford executive vice-president and chief financial officer Lewis Booth said in a statement on Monday.According to Automotive Business Review, Ford’s Struandale, Port Elizabeth engine plant has been extensively upgraded and is now capable of producing 75 000 engines and 220 000 engine component kits a year.“The new Duratorq TDCi engines will be equipped in the Ranger pick-ups, built at [Ford’s Silverton, Pretoria] vehicle assembly plant, which has also been expanded and is now capable of producing 110 000 vehicles a year,” Automotive Business Review reported on Tuesday.The Michigan, US-based vehicle manufacturer has about 10 percent of market share in South Africa, trailing Toyota, Volkswagen and General Motors.However, its South Africa investment was not just aimed at growing local market share, according to Jeff Nemeth, president of Ford Motor Company of Southern Africa. Nemeth told The Detroit News that Ford was transforming its South African operations “from a domestic to global manufacturing site”.The Struandale plant is now the only Ford facility that both manufactures the four- and five-cylinder Duratorq engines and machines the components, The Detroit News reported.Booth, in his statement, said the new diesel engine would “help drive our transformation in South Africa, and it is a key reason the all-new Ford Ranger pickup truck is a class leader.”Previously, Ford Southern Africa was producing the Ranger, the Focus and a smaller pick-up (or bakkie, as South Africans call them), the Bantam, for the South African market.Focusing on building a single vehicle meant the local manufacturer could achieve the necessary scale and efficiency for Ford’s global operations, Nemeth told The Detroit News.SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material
Former India cricketer and selector Sandeep Patil is not in the favour of Virat Kohli toning down on his aggression on the field.Patil has backed Kohli even as the Indian captain got criticised for his aggression and on-field antics in the ongoing Test series against Australia down under. He was even mocked by an Australian journalist in a Twitter post on Saturday.But Patil feels as long as Kohli doesn’t cross the line and gets reprimanded by the match referee, he should continue to show aggression on the field in Australia.”When a tiger’s claws and teeth are clipped, it becomes tame. Kohli’s aggression should not be thwarted and he is right in turning on the aggression. I want to see the tiger in the wild and not put in a cage,” Patil was quoted as saying by Mid Day.”Look, there is the match referee to keep a check on things, the Indian cricket board too. If he crosses the line, he will pay the price but he should not stop being aggressive,” Patil added.Kohli had numerous verbal duels with his Australian counterpart Tim Paine on the final two days of the second Test which India eventually lost by 146 runs.Kohli and Paine later clarified that everything that was said on the field was well within the limits.Paine even went on to say that Kohli brought out the competitive spirit in him.”I don’t think we did touch to be honest. It got pretty close. It was a highly competitive Test match from both teams. There’s a lot on the line and both teams desperately want to win and sometimes that stuff happens” Paine said in the post-match press conference.advertisement”I love it. I enjoy watching Kohli, I always have. I think he brings out the competitive spirit in a lot of people which is great, and I’m sure it was great to watch,” Paine added.Former Australia captain Allan Border also backed the India skipper in this issue and said that the Delhi cricketer exudes nothing but passion on the field.”There’s not many characters in our game at the moment. The professional era has sort of beaten that out to a certain degree,” Border said on Fox Cricket’s podcast — The Follow-on.”I haven’t seen anyone sort of carry on so much as a captain when his side takes a wicket. It’s really over the top but it’s good in a way. You can see some passion about what he’s trying to do,” he said.Border added that perhaps Kohli’s aggression stems from the desire to cement his legacy with an away series victory.”He’s so keen to win away from home and really deserve that number one ranking that’s your KPIs (key performance indicators) as a captain I suppose,” he said.The third Test between India and Australia will be played at the Melbourne Cricket Ground from December 26 with the series level at 1-1.Also Read | Virat Kohli is the energy of this Indian team and the clear leader: Brad HoggAlso Read | Virat Kohli’s new look gets a thumbs-up from fans on InstagramAlso Read | Australian journalist uses random video to ridicule Virat Kohli
BID IN: Arsenal make huge offer for Lille attacker Nicolas Pepeby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveArsenal have launched a bid for Lille attacker Nicolas Pepe.TMW says Arsenal have offered €50m upfront plus further bonus fees based on appearances and success.Gunners boss Unai Emery is eager to add a new attacking midfield signing and knows plenty about Pepe thanks to his time in charge of PSG.The news of Arsenal’s bid arrives just 24 hours after it broke they had a mega offer rejected by AS Roma for Cengiz Under.Tied to LOSC until 2022, Pepe has stated he is ready to leave – but only after the end of this season. TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
Lyon midfielder Houssem Aouar: I had Liverpool offer at 16by Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveLyon midfielder Houssem Aouar has revealed he could’ve joined Liverpool before turning pro.Aouar is a target for Manchester City after impressing in the Champions League this season.He said, “Before signing my first professional contract with Lyon in July 2016, Liverpool was interested in me. “I was really thinking about the decision I needed to consider things carefully, what was best for my development.”And I chose Lyon because it is the club in my heart and my goal was to succeed here.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
APTN National NewsAn Alberta non-profit organization that supports teen parents has wrapped up their third-annual diaper drive.The Edmonton group hopes to receive donations of 150,000 diapers.But the real story is the teen ambassadors who help with the drive and share some of the life lessons they’ve learned as young mothers with their fellow teens.APTN National News reporter Noemi LoPinto has this story.
Tom Fennario APTN National NewsThere are provisions in the Canadian legal system that take into account the harsh realities of many Indigenous offenders.But in Montreal, they’re not always being implemented.Now, a new organization is looking to change that, and more.
Women’s TeamJunior Karrington Winters set the NCAA season-high 400-meter dash time of 53.41, highlighting the Ohio State women’s track and field team’s success at the Kentucky Invitational in Lexington, Kentucky.Both Ohio State relay teams in the 4×400-meter relay placed in the top three. Junior Karrington Winters, freshman Syaira Richardson, sophomore Halimah Barlow and senior Maggie Barrie combined to run a first-place time of 3:34.92.Ohio State’s third-place team consisted of sophomore Tamani Wilson, senior Beatrice Hannan, freshman Aziza Ayoub and freshman Mary Figler. The group combined for a time of 3:46.27. Richardson placed third in the 400-meter dash with a time of 54.67.The women’s throwing efforts were led by junior Sade Olatoye, who placed second in the weight throw with a throw of 20.65 meters. She also finished second in shot put with a throw of 16.30 meters. Sophomore Lyne’a Diller finished fourth with a throw of 15.24 metersOhio State had three sprinters finish in the top 10 of the 200-meter dash. Sophomore Taylor DeLoach finished fourth with a time of 23.93 seconds, Barrie finished sixth at 23.95 seconds and Barlow finished seventh at 23.96 seconds.Junior Mikaela Seibert placed second in the triple jump reaching 12.07 meters.Junior Jessica Passwater led Ohio State’s distance effort, finishing third in the 3000-meter run with a time of 9:47. In that same event, junior Brittany Atkinson finished seventh with a time of 9:51. The women distance medley finished third with a time of 11:59. That unit was made up of sophomore Vanessa Robinson, senior Courtney Cloudy, freshman Kalee Soehnlen and Ayoub.The team will head up to Ann Arbor for the Michigan Invitational Saturday.Men’s TeamThe Ohio State 4×400-meter relay ended the Kentucky Invitational with a first-place finish at 3:12.88. The ‘A’ team consisted of freshman Joseph Cooper, junior Nick Gray, freshman Drelan Bramwell and freshman Tavonte Mott.Four Buckeyes placed in the 200-meter dash with freshman Eric Harrison Jr. finishing second with a time of 21.21 seconds. Mott finished third with a time of 21.64 seconds, Bramwell finished fourth at 21.68 and senior Zack Bazile finished sixth with a time of 21.77. Junior DaJuan Seward finished third in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.01 seconds. Senior Nick Demaline, who placed first in the shot put with a throw of 18.73 meters. Senior Aaron Zedalla placed second in the weight throw with a 20.58-meter throw and fifth in shot put at 17.35 meters. Senior Max Seipel placed sixth in weight throw (18.5 meters) and seventh in shot put (17.19 meters).The men’s pole vault unit had two athletes place, with junior Coty Cobb finishing third with a jump of 5.25 meters and senior Cole Gorscki finishing sixth (5.13 meters). Ohio State’s track field team will prepare for the Michigan invitational next Saturday in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
The Inter Milan footballer believes his team has to be confident after two matches without a win in the start of the Lega Serie A seasonAfter two matches in the 2018-2019 Italian Lega Serie A season, Inter Milan has not been able to get a win.Internazionale lost 1-0 against Sassuolo and on Sunday tied 2-2 with Torino at home.And this is why Stefan de Vrij believes his team needs to concentrate to get the wins needed.“We need to look ahead and concentrate on the next match,” he told Sky Sports according to Calcio Mercato.Capello calls Lukaku “a modern striker” Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 The former Italian manager believes Romelu Lukaku is perfectly suited for Antonio Conte’s Internazionale Milan in the Serie A.“The last two did not go so well but now that is the past and we must look forward.”“We have to get going right away against Bologna and remain confident because we have to be to win games,” he said.“We know that we have to do on Saturday.”“The words of Spalletti? What he said will be very useful for the next matches,” he concluded.
Lazio boss Simone Inzaghi admits Napoli deserved their 2-1 victory but fumed at the sending off of Francesco Acerbi.Jose Callejon and Arkadiusz Milik put the host in the ascendancy before half-time before Ciro Immobile pulled one back for Inzaghi’s men.“Napoli played better than we did and certainly deserved to win, but having said that, on the first yellow card, Callejon was clever to get in front of Acerbi and then stop, ensuring the defender had to run into him,” the Coach told Football Italia.“As for the second booking, he clearly got the ball and it was not even a foul. I noticed that, I got angry, but these incidents do keep happening to us.”The Biancocelesti improved considerably when Joaquin Correa came off the bench.“Correa is a resource for us and he had started the last six games, missing the Coppa Italia because he had flu. Our first-half performance was bad, we were too passive, Napoli deservedly took the lead.“There were 25 minutes left when we got back into the game, with XI against XI who knows how it would’ve ended? It’s a regret, but we have been unlucky recently.Top 5 Serie A players to watch for next weekend’s activity Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 11, 2019 With the international activity cooling down for the next month, we go back to the Top 5 players to watch in Serie A next…“We went down to 10 men against Inter as well, although I had no complaints about the Senad Lulic second yellow. This evening, I didn’t agree with either of the two bookings for Acerbi.“As I said, Napoli didn’t steal anything, they deserved to win. They hit the woodwork four times, although the Jose Callejon chance was offside so wouldn’t have counted, and we went too deep for long periods.“It’s going to be a fight to the end between many different teams for a place in Europe.”#NapoliLazioLazio first goal scored by Immobile pic.twitter.com/9Z9KSzgzGK— Abdullah (@Osty_99) January 20, 2019