Over 1K Antique sugar migrants stranded in NegOcc return home

first_imgProvincial planning and development officer Juliana Cepe said on May 21 that the sugar migrants, or locally known as sacadas, have been allowed to return home after this province shifted to general community quarantine.“We are still expecting more than 900 residents to arrive in the coming days from Negros Occidental. Antique is expecting a total of 2,223 returnees,” she added. “The local finance committee of the provincial government of Antique is now in the process of preparing the cash assistance that would be given to the sugar migrants,” said Cepe. The sacadas are currently undergoing mandatory 14-day quarantine in the COVID-19 patient care centers set up by their respective local government units.The first batch, composed of 578 sugar migrants arrived on May 19 while another 646 followed the next day. All of them came home via Dumangas port in Dumangas, Iloilo. Cepe said the contractors arranged the transport and paid for the fare of the Atiqueño sacadas.The provincial government, through its Sacada Desk, coordinated with the provincial disaster risk reduction and management office to pick up the sugar migrants, she added. Some sacadas might still be contemplating on going back to Negros Occidental when work is available once again, she added.(With a report from PNA/PN) After being stranded in Negros Occidental due to the enhanced community quarantine caused by coronavirus disease 2019, sugar migrants return to Antique on May 19 via roll-on, roll-off vessels that docked at the Dumangas port in Dumangas, Iloilo. So far, a total of 1,224 sugar migrants already returned to the province. PDRRMO ANTIQUE SAN JOSE, Antique – A total of 1,224 sugar migrants in this province who were stranded in Negros Occidental due to travel restrictions amid coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic finally returned home.  According to Cepe, the sugar migrants will be receiving financial assistance from the provincial government to sustain their daily needs.last_img read more

Chelsea clinch Salah deal

first_img “The move is subject to the Egyptian international agreeing personal terms and completing a medical examination.” Provided the finer details of the move are confirmed swiftly, Salah could make his debut in Sunday’s FA Cup fourth round tie at home to Stoke. He wrote on Twitter: “Mohamed Salah Officially in @chelseafc” Salah becomes Chelsea’s third signing of the winter transfer window, following Bertrand Traore and Nemanja Matic in moves funded by the sale of Kevin De Bruyne and the imminent move of Mata, a fans’ favourite and Chelsea’s player of the year in each of the last two seasons. So impressed was Mourinho in Salah’s performance as Chelsea twice lost to Basle in the Champions League group stages that the Blues boss made his move. Salah scored in three of the Swiss side’s four recent meetings with Chelsea: a goal in each of this season’s Group E Champions League wins and also netting in the second leg of last term’s Europa League semi-final. Salah was also being courted by Liverpool, who earlier on Thursday conceded defeat in their pursuit of the winger. The move is reminiscent of the deal for Willian, who had already completed a medical at Tottenham before signing for Chelsea last August. The deal for the Egypt international, which is subject to him agreeing personal terms and passing a medical, means Juan Mata’s move to Manchester United is likely to be completed shortly, much to the consternation of Blues supporters. A statement on chelseafc.com read: “Chelsea Football Club can confirm an agreement has been reached with FC Basel for the transfer of their 21-year-old attacking midfielder Mohamed Salah. Press Association Jose Mourinho continued his overhaul of his Chelsea squad on Thursday with the signing of Mohamed Salah from Basle. Prior to De Bruyne’s departure to Wolfsburg earlier this month, Mourinho insisted there was no need for a like-for-like replacement for the Belgian. Salah is another option in the attacking midfield roles, but the pace and width he offers suggests Mourinho seems him as an alternative to Mata, rather than a direct replacement. Mata, who joined from Valencia in 2011, has struggled to cope with Mourinho’s demands for a greater work ethic, with Eden Hazard, Oscar and Willian favoured in the three attacking positions behind a lone centre forward. Mata has completed just one of the last five games he started and last featured on New Year’s Day at Southampton, where he reacted angrily to his substitution early in the second half. Mourinho will hope Salah, who is 21, can be sculpted as he wishes and learn to play as his manager demands, like Hazard has. Another player who appears set to join Mata in departing Stamford Bridge is midfielder Michael Essien, with a switch to Milan possible. The Ghana midfielder on Twitter re-tweeted a fan’s comment which stated: “If Essien goes to Milan. I will weep tears of sadness for Chelsea and joy for him.” Essien spent last season on loan at Real Madrid, playing under Mourinho, but has been a shadow of his former self this season and the capture of Matic would allow him to leave. Striker Fernando Torres will miss the Stoke match with a knee injury, the full extent of which may be revealed by Mourinho on Friday at his pre-match media conference. Mourinho has repeatedly insisted Chelsea will not be purchasing a striker during the January transfer window, even after the Torres blow, and he instead promised to give Demba Ba an opportunity. Ba has not started for the Blues since October 6 at Norwich. The “killer” striker Mourinho craves will have to wait until the summer, with the Portuguese still an admirer of Wayne Rooney. Manchester United rebuffed two bids for Rooney last summer but the 28-year-old will have a year to run on his current contract at the end of this season. last_img read more

Fishing the North Coast: Rain should jump start winter steelhead run

first_imgIt wasn’t much, but it was a start. Tuesday’s storms brought just enough rain to bump up the river flows, and hopefully light a fire under the winter steelhead. Most of the rain fell from Eureka north, with the Smith and Chetco each jumping a couple feet. The Smith was dropping quickly and will likely be clear by Saturday, but the Chetco should be in great shape and fish through the weekend. Locally, the Mad River saw increase of roughly 300 cfs, which is plenty to pull some fresh steelhead …last_img

New renewable energy player aims high

first_img10 April 2012 Private energy company Cennergi aims to produce a massive 16 GW of renewable energy generation capacity projects in southern Africa by 2025, its founders said at the company’s official launch in Johannesburg last week. A joint venture between South Africa’s mining group Exxaro and India’s largest private power utility Tata Power, Cennergi already runs five renewable energy projects in the Northern Cape, Limpopo, Eastern and Western Cape provinces. The new 50:50 partnership will particularly be targeting the expanding energy markets in South Africa, Namibia and Botswana, with a focus on the investigation, development, ownership, operation, maintenance, acquisition and management of power generation projects.SA’s renewable energy procurement programme Cennergi CEO Thomas Garner told guests at Wednesday’s launch that the company had submitted solar and wind bids for the second bidding round under South Africa’s renewable energy Independent Power Producer (IPP) procurement programme, which closed on 5 March. Exxaro head Sipho Nkosi said Cennergi would be looking at partnering with South African state power company Eskom. He said the idea by Exxaro, one of South Africa’s leading coal producers and Eskom’s number one supplier, to venture into energy had been in the pipeline for the past two years. “We felt that as coal producers in South Africa, we should start immersing ourselves in renewable energies, because we need to continue to be responsible corporate citizens in South Africa,” Nkosi said. “The whole continent of Africa is well endowed with renewable energy and … these are the organisations that can harness these opportunities.”Energy needs ‘call for more than one player’ Tata Power MD Anil Sardana said the demand for energy in southern Africa necessitated that there should be more than one player in the sector. Given that, arduous challenges in meeting the continent’s energy needs remained. “Therefore, it’s important for people to bring all the inputs together, not just to contribute to the space, but do it effectively,” Sardana said, adding that Tata Power currently served more than 1.7-million customers in Delhi and Mumbai. South Africa’s Integrated Resource Plan for the energy sector envisages 3 725 MW of renewable energy being added to the country’s power mix over the coming few years. The Department of Energy’s Kevin Nassiep, who delivered a speech on behalf of Energy Minister Dipuo Peters, said projects such as Cennergi were “poised to accelerate the development of our electricity sector, and will propel our green energy revolution to a new level.” He said it was no coincidence that South Africa was moving with speed to “green” its economy, considering that the country had just introduced a New Growth Path that sought to deliver five-million new jobs by 2020. The Industrial Policy Action Plan and the signing of a new local procurement accord last year bore testimony to the government’s seriousness about boosting industry investments in South Africa, Nassiep said. Source: BuaNewslast_img read more

Friendster Relaunching: A Lesson in How Not to Brand

first_imgBeing one of the first social networking sites in existence certainly doesn’t establish you as the best or most popular. For this reason, Friendster leaked a video outlining its look and product features. According to TechCrunch, the company is set to release the new product features tomorrow morning. If the below video was meant to get prospective users excited for a revitalized service, they could have approached it from a different angle. Below are the top four reasons Friendster’s new messaging needs to change. Related Posts Tags:#social networks#web dana oshiro A Comprehensive Guide to a Content Audit Facebook is Becoming Less Personal and More Pro… Guide to Performing Bulk Email Verification The Dos and Don’ts of Brand Awareness Videos 4. It’s You! Up Close and Personal: When you’re trying to brand yourself as an alternative to “generic sites” you might want to come up with messaging that differs from that of a recent $100 million dollar campaign already launched by Yahoo. 3. Your Own Look, Your Own Style: In August, Microsoft was widely criticized for Photoshopping a man’s head and subsequently changing his skin color. In this case, all of the models involved appear to be both racially homogenous and between the ages of 18-30-years-old. Ironically, I would be able to express myself with “[my] own look and [my] own style”; however, the visual message here is that those who do not fit this image would be misfits. 2. [You Can] Send Gifs: If you’re going to show how your network is different from Facebook and MySpace, you should focus on product features that people care about – like mobile uploads, geo-locational applications, news feeds and anything from this decade. 1. Connecting Smiles: This tagline doesn’t conjure images of a fun social network. It does however relate to the tragic fact that up to 1 in 50,000 babies are born as conjoined twins. The phenomenon happens when identical twins’ bodies are fused in utero and the surgery to separate these poor children is often complex and life threatening. last_img read more

10 months agoBID IN: Arsenal make huge offer for Lille attacker Nicolas Pepe

first_imgBID IN: Arsenal make huge offer for Lille attacker Nicolas Pepeby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveArsenal have launched a bid for Lille attacker Nicolas Pepe.TMW says Arsenal have offered €50m upfront plus further bonus fees based on appearances and success.Gunners boss Unai Emery is eager to add a new attacking midfield signing and knows plenty about Pepe thanks to his time in charge of PSG.The news of Arsenal’s bid arrives just 24 hours after it broke they had a mega offer rejected by AS Roma for Cengiz Under.Tied to LOSC until 2022, Pepe has stated he is ready to leave – but only after the end of this season. TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your saylast_img

10 months agoLyon midfielder Houssem Aouar: I had Liverpool offer at 16

first_imgLyon midfielder Houssem Aouar: I had Liverpool offer at 16by Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveLyon midfielder Houssem Aouar has revealed he could’ve joined Liverpool before turning pro.Aouar is a target for Manchester City after impressing in the Champions League this season.He said, “Before signing my first professional contract with Lyon in July 2016, Liverpool was interested in me. “I was really thinking about the decision I needed to consider things carefully, what was best for my development.”And I chose Lyon because it is the club in my heart and my goal was to succeed here.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img

21 days agoAZ coach Arne Slot admits Man Utd unlucky with penalty call

first_imgAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say AZ coach Arne Slot admits Man Utd unlucky with penalty callby Carlos Volcano21 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveAZ Alkmaar coach Arne Slot admits they were lucky to avoid defeat to Europa League opponents Manchester United last night.At the final whistle, United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer complained about Marcus Rashford being denied a penalty.And Slot said, “We have chased Manchester United where possible. We continued to play compactly in the phases that we had a harder time with and got tired. We kept playing football and could resist the temptation to boot the ball away. “We have given away few chances. We walked away a bit disappointed afterwards to the dressing room. But United could also have received a penalty in the final phase. We were lucky that the referee played on…” last_img read more

Escanaba Upper Elementary School wins Reading Month photo contest

last_img

Big swings continue as bitcoin briefly dips below 10000

With the drop below $10,000, bitcoin had lost about half its value since hitting a high above $19,000 in mid-December. Other digital currencies bounced around as well.Bitcoin has slumped 20 percent this week as traders worry that regulators in South Korea will crack down on trading of digital currencies. The price of bitcoin fell as much as 20 percent Wednesday, but later recovered and was nearly flat at $11,392 around 5:10 p.m. Eastern Time, according to Coindesk.Bitcoin hasn’t caught on as a currency for buying things, as intended. But it has drawn huge interest from traders, and its price has soared over the past year, and has also had several sharp drops.The price of one bitcoin went from $1,000 at the beginning of last year to nearly $20,000 in mid-December. The latest plunge brings the price back to where it was in early December.Many financial pros believe bitcoin is in a speculative bubble that could crash any time.The possibility that South Korea will ban or restrict virtual currency trading has weighed on traders’ minds the last few weeks because the nation is a major market for currencies like bitcoin.Those worries have also depressed the prices of other digital currencies that gained sharply in recent months.Ethereum fell 9 percent to $993 Wednesday, according to Coindesk. During the day it tumbled as much as 26 percent. Its current price is still roughly double where it was in November, and down sharply from its recent peak of $1,329 on Jan. 10.Bitcoin and other digital currencies trade on private exchanges that have little regulation or protection for investors. In December two major financial exchanges, the Cboe and CME, started trading in bitcoin futures, which allow investors to make bets on the future price of bitcoin without actually holding bitcoins.Bitcoin futures on the Cboe were little changed while CME-traded futures slipped 2 percent. Earlier they hit their lowest levels since trading began last month.Bitcoin is extremely hard to value because it has no country or central bank backing it and it’s not widely used to make transactions. Its value is tied only to what people believe it is worth at any given time.Partly for that reason, it’s gone through numerous highs and lows in its brief history since being formed in 2009: After a plunge in November 2013, it lost about half its value in 2014. The huge rally in 2017 also came with some sharp selloffs, although those wound up being temporary. Citation: Big swings continue as bitcoin briefly dips below $10,000 (2018, January 17) retrieved 18 July 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2018-01-big-bitcoin-briefly-dips.html In this Tuesday, Jan. 16, 2018, file photo, a man watches a screen showing the prices of bitcoin at a virtual currency exchange office in Seoul, South Korea. Bitcoin is suffering another one of its trademark nosedives on Wednesday. The digital currency has fallen about 30 percent during the week as investors worry that regulators in South Korea will crack down on trading. (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon, File) The volatility of the digital currency markets was on display again Wednesday, as bitcoin briefly fell below $10,000 before rebounding back above $11,000 in the U.S. afternoon. Explore further Bitcoin prices fall as South Korea says ban still an option © 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. read more